Genius RF is the miracle you’ve been looking for if you want to get rid of acne scars, loose skin, cellulite and stretchmarks. This innovative treatment combines the technology of microneedling with radiofrequency to create the results you want. This is a highly customizable procedure that is the ideal part of a treatment plan to target your specific skin condition and your skincare goals. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about radiofrequency microneedling so that you can decide if it’s best for you.
What is Genius RF?
The Genius RF system, which is considered a cosmetic treatment, utilizes radiofrequency, combined with a series of tiny needles to transform the look and feel of your skin. It’s considered a collagen stimulating treatment that delivers controlled damage to the skin, which encourages collagen production as healing occurs. Using ultrafine needles, the radiofrequency delivers heat into the deeper layers of your skin, which boosts the production of elastin. Both collagen and elastin are essential for keeping skin looking youthful and healthy.
How Does it Work?
The procedure is fairly fast and requires very little downtime, which makes it ideal for many patients who want to revolutionize the look of their skin without being laid out for an extended amount of time. We use gold-plated needles. As they pierce the skin, heated RF energy is delivered into each puncture, which is customized by intensity for each patient, depending on the skin condition you want to treat, as well as its severity.
As the needles work with the RF energy, it counteracts the loss of collagen by stimulating a healing response. As the controlled damage to your skin heals, the production of collagen and the creation of elastin fibers increase, which creates volume on your skin, treating a wide range of skin issues, including scarring, skin laxity, uneven skin tone, enlarged pores, stretch marks and cellulite.
The great thing about the radiofrequency waves used in Genius RF is that they go deep into the layers of skin, bypassing the superficial layers and reaching the deep tissue beneath, reducing the risk of hyperpigmentation, which is a concern with other methods of traditional microneedling. That makes it a great choice for many patients, including those with darker skin.
What Can It Treat and What are the Results?
The great thing about our Genius treatment is that it works for several issues you might want to deal with. It can also be customized to suit your specific needs. You can choose the procedure for just one issue or use it to target several. As the downtime is minimal, it won’t interfere too much with your day-to-day activities and you can likely return to normal life quite quickly.
It’s ideal for use on the face, neck, chest and any body part where you see loose skin or cellulite (legs, buttocks, etc.) Keep reading to find out more about each skin issue Genius RF Microneedling can treat.
Cellulite is a harmless skin condition that occurs when fat deposits under the skin create the appearance of lumpy or dimpled skin by pushing on the connective tissue in the area. It’s common on the upper legs, buttocks and belly and most people don’t like the way it looks when they look in the mirror.
As RF microneedling is administered, the boost in collagen can help decrease the appearance of cellulite by smoothing the skin and allowing the connective tissue to move back into place. In short, tightening by counteracting skin laxity and boosting the skin’s volume by increasing collagen and elastin fibers results in younger, healthier-looking skin all over the body.
Stretch Mark Removal
Stretch Marks occur when a person gains weight rapidly and the skin stretches to accommodate this new size and shape. It’s a common condition among pregnant women, but can also occur anytime someone gains a large amount of weight in a short amount of time.
Radiofrequency microneedling works to create an improvement in collagen to counteract the damage that leads to stretch marks. This helps heal the skin’s connective tissue, which stretches as weight is gained, reducing the appearance of the lines that appear when this happens.
At the same time, you can combine a treatment for stretch marks with skin tightening to further counteract the skin issues that arise with rapid weight gain.
Loose Skin Treatment
One of the most common reasons for loose skin is weight loss, but it is also fairly common as you get older and skin loses natural elasticity. Just as Genius RF Microneedling is considered a collagen induction therapy for the above-listed conditions, it also works to tighten skin with an improvement in collagen production, which boosts volume, counteracting loose skin.
Research finds that as the quantity of collagen increased, skin laxity improved incrementally. Genius RF microneedling using radiofrequency waves is a great way to achieve skin tightening on many body parts, including the abdomen, buttocks, arms, legs and face. At the same time, elastin production
As you have likely deduced by now, the main effect of RF microneedling is to counteract the loss of collagen. This means it can also treat scarring left behind by acne on your face. That includes cystic acne as well as other types that leave behind blemishes that you likely want to get rid of.
As collagen increases to heal the controlled damage caused by the RF devices, you will notice that your skin looks younger and that scars fade. Getting into the deeper layers of skin, something that traditional microneedling can’t do, creates collagen density to a degree that improves skin tone and texture, something that is highly effective for scarring.
Because Genius RF can be customized, your level of visible results may be different from another patient. It’s important to remember that an improvement in collagen takes time. The average length of time to see noticeable results is approximately 6 months. Most patients will need to undergo several radiofrequency microneedling treatment sessions before full results can be seen. It’s important to maintain realistic expectations regarding your results so be sure you have a full understanding before you choose the treatment.
Before Care and Aftercare
As with any laser treatment that is aimed at improving skin texture and allowing you to like what you see in the mirror, it’s important to be prepared beforehand, as well as be ready to practice good aftercare when the procedure is complete. RF microneedling treatments can be highly effective, provided you do your part to follow directions for the best results.
Before Care Tips
- Limit sun exposure or the use of tanning beds in the weeks leading up to treatment
- Avoid blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Make sure any supplements you take are safe to continue before the procedure
- Limit skincare products that contain harsh or irritating ingredients (retinol, tretinoin, etc.)
- Take all medications, for all medical conditions, as prescribed (unless otherwise instructed)
- Avoid smoking and alcohol for a couple of weeks before treatment
Just before treatment, you will likely be asked to wash your face, using a gentle cleanser.
After Care Tips
- Avoid hot baths
- Avoid massage in the area
- Forgo the use of skincare products that contain irritating ingredients
- Avoid exfoliating products
- Use a spritz of diluted vinegar to control burning (as recommended)
- Apply ice packs to relieve swelling and discomfort
- Keep your skin well moisturized
- Avoid makeup for 12 hours
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure and tanning beds for two weeks after treatment
- Wear SPF 30 on all exposed skin going forward
- Avoid lasers for 4 weeks
For the best results, it’s important to undergo an RF treatment session only with a board-certified doctor or other qualified aesthetic provider. This ensures the best, and safest, results possible.
During the Treatment
Any given Genius RF session will take between 45 minutes and one hour, depending on the severity of your issue and the size of the area being treated. You should also expect to allow for 30 minutes for the numbing agents to take effect before the procedure begins.
Optimal results are usually achieved after three sessions, though this may be fewer or more, depending on the patient. Here are the steps you can expect during a Genius RF session.
- Your skin is cleansed and a topical numbing agent is applied
- Your cosmetic treatment provider will enter your information into the RF device, including age, gender, and skin type.
- The device will repeatedly stamp the skin, delivering radiofrequency energy as the needles create controlled damage. A pause after each stamp ensures that the heat reaches the deeper layers of skin.
- Additional passes over the skin will be completed, as needed.
Most patients can return to normal daily activities soon after undergoing Genius RF treatment. Be sure to follow aftercare instructions carefully for the best results.
Pros, Cons and Risks
To make an educated decision about whether Genius RF microneedling is the right treatment for you, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons, as well as be well educated on the potential risks so that you can enjoy the potential results without having to deal with an adverse event afterward. Consider the following information as you make your choice.
There are a wealth of benefits of Genius RF, which you have probably already figured out by reading the rest of this article. Here they are, listed for your convenience.
- Adjustable needle depth control
- Customizable based on your needs
- Ideal for facial skin, as well as many parts of the body
- Improved power for more precise insertion
- Optimized energy delivery
- Works for many purposes, including stretch marks, cellulite, acne scars and loose skin
- Minimal downtime
- Fewer sessions are needed when compared to traditional microneedling
- Boosts skin volume
- Increases collagen and elastin production
- Ideal for most skin types, including darker skin types
- Lower risk of hyperpigmentation
Remember that it’s important to undergo Genius RF microneedling only by a cosmetic doctor who is trained and experienced in the technique. This ensures that you get the best results possible, without risk of an adverse event or other side effects.
Just as there are benefits that go along with laser treatments, including Genius RF microneedling, there are also some drawbacks to be aware of. Knowing what they are can help you decide if the treatment is right for you or not. They include the following:
- You will likely need multiple treatments, spread 4 to 6 weeks apart
- You may not see full results for 6 months
- Even with a numbing agent, you may experience some discomfort during the procedure
- Slight risk of hyperpigmentation for medium to dark skin tones
- Risk of skin texture and appearance changes, if done by an inexperienced technician (again, we reiterate to always choose a well-trained and experienced cosmetic doctor for Genius RF Microneedling)
Potential Side Effects
While Genius RF microneedling is certainly an effective treatment for a wide range of skin issues, there are some possible side effects you should be aware of. If you experience anything unexpected or your condition worsens, you should notify your surgeon or dermatologist right away. Potential side effects include the following:
- Dry skin
- Scaly skin
- Mild active acne breakouts
- Cold sore breakout
The side effects could last for just a few hours but may last for a few days. If you become concerned about these side effects, let your doctor know.
In addition to the above-listed common side effects, there are some complications that indicate the need for medical intervention. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it’s important to tell your dermatologist beforehand. Potential complications include the following:
- Allergic reaction
- Infection or signs of an infection
- Persistent swelling or redness
- Prolonged bleeding
Any of these require immediate medical attention, so call your doctor or head to the emergency room right away.
Who is a Good Candidate for Genius RF Microneedling?
While radiofrequency microneedling is generally considered safe, it’s always a good idea to clear it with your doctor before you choose it, especially if you have any medical conditions. Indications that you are likely a good candidate for the procedure are:
- You are in good general health
- You exhibit early signs of aging
- You have realistic expectations regarding the results
On the other hand, if any of these conditions apply to you, it’s best to avoid RF microneedling.
- Are using or have recently used Accutane
- Are experiencing an active breakout of cold sores
- Have a skin infection
- Have a skin disease (psoriasis, etc.)
- Are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- Are pregnant
- Use anticoagulant medications
- Have a history of keloids, poor wound healing, or hypertrophic scarring
Radiofrequency microneedling is an effective treatment for a variety of skin issues, including stretch marks, cellulite, acne scarring and loose skin. For just an average of 20 minutes spent, you can dramatically improve all of these conditions with just a few sessions.
Contact the Z Center for Cosmetic Health to arrange for a personal consultation so that we can create a customized treatment plan that suits your needs.